Sunday, October 13, 2013

Reader Survey: Too Prudish, or Not Prudish Enough?

I've received some reviews lately criticizing my book for being overloaded with "sexual behavior"...

[Insert stunned emoticon here.]

Sex?!  In my book?  Are we reading the same book?  Because if you've read Mail Order Regrets, you already know there is not a single bit of sex in my book.  None.  Nada.  Not even the wedding night.

Now, what is in my book are two kissing scenes.  One that is  mildly passionate (only kissing, nothing more) that takes place around mid-book, and one that is pretty darn chaste, toward the end.  Throughout the book there are light references to the hero and heroine feeling attraction (yes, sexual attraction--GASP) for each other.  Basically, mild sexual tension. 

I was really confused as to some of the descriptions that these reviewers claim are in my book.  I can only imagine that either they accidentally got my book mixed up in their heads with another book they recently read, or else they consider that feeling attraction to another person or kissing another person to be the equivalent of "sexual behavior".  I don't.  I think most people--even conservative people--don't, either.  But everyone is different, and to each his own, as they say.

To avoid future confusion, I've included a content warning in my book description, now, to help buyers make a more informed choice. 


So here's my question:  how do you feel about the content of the book?  Do you feel it's too prudish, just right, or not prudish enough?  I know that often, it's the loudest people that get heard (the reviewers who say things in the harshest possible way), so this is your chance to speak up and let me know how you feel... 

Just contact me by email, using the email address at the end of Mail Order Regrets, if you want to share your opinion.  That way, you can remain anonymous, and we won't have to worry about "comment wars" between readers here on the blog.  ;-)  Also, feel free to let me know what you'd like to see more of in the future.  I may not be able to respond to every email, if I get a lot at once, but I will definitely read them all. 

I can't make every reader happy--no author can--but I will always take my readers' opinions very seriously, and I appreciate the time readers take to leave me a comment, whether it's a one-star review or a five-star. 


UPDATE:  Some readers have written (and thanks so much for writing!) and asked when Mail Order Promises will be out.  I'm in edits now, and if all goes well, it should be out before the end of this month.  (I updated Mail Order Regrets by changing the notification at the end, saying it would be out by late November.  That was a mistake, it was supposed to say late October.  I've since changed it again.)  I can't wait to release this book--I'm really exited about it!  And you'll get a glimpse into Clay and Madeline's life from time to time throughout the series, as well as other characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam and improve reader experience. If your comment is not spam or inflammatory, it will be posted as soon as it is approved.